Short Story

 It all started when I woke up in the desert, the scorching sun low in the sky. As I got up confused, I looked around, no one. As I start to brush the sand off my clothes and out of my hair, I notice a paper on the ground. It read:


The nearest city is east. 


The sun was just rising and I did not want to be stuck in the desert all night so I got moving. An hour into walking I noticed something in the distance, as I got closer it seemed to be a backpack. Barely visible in the sand, I shook the sand off and immediately opened it up. Inside was one bottle of water and a compass. I was thirsty, tired, and worn out, I had to lay down for a second. Slowly my eyes felt heavier, and heavier, eventually shutting. 


I woke up to a noise. Is that a horse? I sit up shocked to find a horse next to a pond of water in front of me. I got up as fast as I could and ran to the water.I was too hot to take off my clothes so I went in fully clothed. I was so refreshed, I closed my eyes and just floated there. Suddenly the water became more rough, I wasn’t able to move in it. It was a hallucination. Freaking out I ran to the horse, as I was about to get on it, it disappeared. I started to panic. I only had half of my water left and I took a couple sips.


I looked into the sky and I noticed that the sun is starting to go down. I lost track of time and have been walking for hours. My legs are shaking, my hair is as hot as fire, and I'm running out of water. I know that nights in deserts can get extremely cold, so I pushed myself to go as far as possible. I know that snakes in the desert are not my enemy right now, my enemy is time. I need to get to the city quickly.


As I look up I see a light in the distance, not just any light, the city lights. The lights are shining so bright it is as if they are signaling someone in space. While slowly approaching the city, I start to pass through an area with abandoned vehicles. Hoping one of these vehicles would work I started to look around. Some dirt bikes that I turned over had flat tires, while others had no gas. I saw a promising looking dirt bike that was already up straight. As I threw my leg over the seat, something bit me. I look at the ground and see a two foot snake with its fangs logged in my ankle.


I grabbed the snake's tail and pulled as hard as I could. The snake flew in the air five feet away from me. As it started to approach me again, I turned the key and drove off to the city. I suddenly felt dizzy, my vision duplicated, then quadrupled. I was so close to the city I knew I could not give up. As I got closer to the light, my eyelids began to feel heavier, it was as if my eyelashes were being pulled down. I gave in.


I woke up to the sound of mopeds honking, people talking, and gusts of wind pushing against the tent I was in. I asked the nurse what had happened and she told me that people saw me outside the city and came to rescue me. I asked if I was in the city and she nodded, I made it.



Comments